Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Blog Elul Day 11: Trust

In the month of Elul as we anticipate Rosh Hashanah, we recite Psalm 27 as part of our liturgy, as well as sound the shofar. This is Simkha Weintraub's translation: 
Psalm 27: A Psalm of David
1. Adonai is my Light and my Help;
whom will I fear?
Adonai is the Strength of my life;
who can make me afraid?
2. When evil people draw near to devour my flesh --
it is these foes and enemies who stumble and fall.
3. Even if an army rises up against me,
my heart will have no fear!
Even if a whole war besets me,
I will still feel secure.
4. One thing I ask from Adonai,
one thing I seek:
to dwell in Adonai's house all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of Adonai,
to explore Adonai's sanctuary.
5. Adonai will shelter me in a Sukkah
on an evil day;
Adonai will conceal me in the secret shelter of a tent,
raise me up safely upon a rock.
6. My head is high above my enemies around me;
I sacrifice in Adonai's tent, to the blasts of trumpets,
singing and chanting a a hymn to Adonai!
7. Adonai -- sh'ma/hear my voice when I call!
Have mercy on me and respond!
8. You seek my heart,
My heart seeks You --
I seek Your Presence.
9. Do not hide Your Face from me;
Do not turn Your servant away in anger!
You have always been my Help
so do not abandon me, do not forsake me,
my God, my Saving One.
10. Even if my father and mother abandoned me,
Adonai would gather me in.
11. Teach me Your ways, Adonai,
Guide me on a straight and level path,
because of my watchful enemies.
12. Do not hand me over to my foes;
ignore the false witnesses and unjust accusers
who rise up against me,
breathing violence!
13. I believe I will yet see Adonai's Goodness
in the Land of Life.
14. Hope in Adonai!
Be strong inside, and let your heart be brave!
Yes, yes, hope in Adonai!
-Translation by Rabbi Simkha Y. Weintraub, CSW (C) 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment