Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Blog Elul Day 10: Count

All The Generations Before Me
--Yehuda Amichai (translation by Robert Friend; Hebrew below)

All the generations that preceded me contributed me
in small amounts, so that I would be erected here in Jerusalem
all at once, like a house of prayer or a charity institution.
That commits one. My name is the name of my contributors.
That commits one.

I am getting to be the age my father was when he died.
My last will shows many superscriptions.
I must change my life and my death
daily, to fulfill all the predictions
concerning me. So they won't be lies.
That commits one.

I have passed my fortieth year.
There are posts they will not let me fill
because of that. Were I in Auschwitz,
they wouldn't put me to work.
They'd burn me right away.
That commits one.


כל הדורות שלפני תרמו אותי
קמעה קמעה כדי שאוקם כאן בירושלים
בבת אחת, כמו בית תפילה או מוסד צדקה
זה מחייב. שמי הוא שם תורמי
זה מחייב.

אני מתקרב לגיל מות אבי.
צואתי מטלאת בהרבה טלאים,
אני צריך לשנות את חיי ואת מותי
יום יום כדי לקים את כל הנבואות
שניבאו אותי שלא יהיו שקר.
זה מחייב.

עברתי את שנת הארבעים. יש
משרות שבהן לא יקבלו אותי
בשל כך. אלו הייתי באושויץ,
לא היו שולחים אותי לעבד,
היו שורפים אותי מיד.
זה מחייב.

No comments:

Post a Comment