Saturday, January 21, 2012

Reflections on L'Taken, Day One

Between funerals and dastardly plans I've been a little behind on blogging. I'm at L'Taken right now, the Religious Action Center's Social Justice Seminar. I won't lie, I wish I had more kids, but I'm really happy with those kids I have. They're clearly having a good time (and some of it is even related to advocacy and social justice!). I'll be posting their...unique perspective on the program throughout the next couple of days here in this blog. First day appears below. For those who have done L'Taken as a staffer, chaperone or participant, feel free to chime in on your experiences!


After finally navigating in circles through the Arlington highways, we made it to the Sheraton in one piece. We explored the hotel for a short time, then took a shuttle to a nearby mall where Michael and I learned assorted info about watches. The entire RAC congretated at 6:15 for an introduction and Shabbat service, then dinner. Afterwords, we heard two speakers from the National Coalition for the Homeless. They told inspiring tales of how they managed to overcome their addictions and bring themselves out of squalor and tell inspiring stories. Afterwards we had a social gathering during which they served bananas, cheesecake, chocolate fudge, and an assortment of other sugary delicacies. (sucrose and glucose) Then we wrote a description of our day and hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment