Monday, December 20, 2010

If I post 3 times in one day does that mean I can take the rest of the week off?

Or does it mean that Darkman appears in the mirror?

(sorry, did I just show my age with that reference?)


Jonathan Sacks, Chief Rabbi of the United Synagogue of the United Kingdom, is retiring in 3 years. I love his books (despite his dim view of liberal Judaism) but find this critique--perhaps more of the institution than of him--intriguing. And an appealing one. Why do we need to have someone who speaks for 'all' the Jews of the British Commonwealth--or anywhere else? As frustrating as it may be for some (and in some circumstances), I find it refreshing that we don't have one voicebox, one person who has to keep all the different cacophonous voices in check. Or to put another way, would the rebuke on the dictum of those 50 rabbis in Israel have come so fast and furiously from Progressive, Secular and Orthodox voices if there was a "Jewish Pope" (or if you prefer sports analogies, a Players Union Rep)?

Then again, the gig does sound pretty good. Hrmn...

No comments:

Post a Comment