Friday, December 31, 2010

Another New year!

As they say in Israel, happy St. Sylvester's Day!

For whatever reason, I never hear Jewish people make New Year's resolutions at Rosh Hashanah, despite it's emphasis on introspection and reflection versus December 31st and it's focus on Revelry. No idea why that is, perhaps someone will write a rabbinic thesis on it (or a Phd on how Jews celebrate non-Jewish occasions vs. Jewish ones).

In any event, any opportunity to make a cheshbon nefesh,an accounting of the soul, is a good one, especially when it falls on Shabbat (of this the Chasidim and Puritans were in agreement, I think--that the Sabbath allows a good opportunity for self-reflection).

So, what's your hope for next year? Me--well, I did most of my reflecting back in the fall, between Rosh Hashanah and my personal review. I signed a new contract with CBE so I'm happy to continue my service here. I'd like to deepen and strengthen the relationships in my shul--do some scuba diving, rather than windsurfing--and perhaps relax the innovation, but I know that's a strong tendency within myself. I'd like to read more for myself (just got a Kindle so here's hoping that helps). I've been blessed to connect with people from many different parts of my life recently (i.e. not just the Wilmington crowd, who are lovely too), and that's been nice, so I'm hoping to do more of that. I'm sure there's other stuff but I can't think of it in the moment. Fortunately, I'll have another chance to reevaluate next week.

May you be safe in your celebrations tonight and tomorrow, and may Robert Burns' words ring true:
And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
And give us a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

No comments:

Post a Comment