Monday, January 24, 2011

Volunteering in Israel.

When I was at Shir Ami two of my congregants (who I'm still in touch with) told me about Volunteers for Israel. It's an organization that recruits volunteers (young and old, including retirees) to go to Israel to work on projects, including on IDF bases or in nursing homes.

Now, of course, one can volunteer their wealth, wisdom and work anywhere, and the commute isn't exactly easy. However, I've always thought it was a great way to experience Israel (for people who know the country as well as Israel 'newbies') and learn the land and the people in a more intimate and thoughtful way than just taking a bus tour or doing Birthright (which now does partner with VFI as well). Getting one's hands dirty and making a difference while learning Hebrew in an Ulpan and exploring the country--sounds like a win-win to me!

The schedule is up for 2011-2012, so if you're interested, click on the name of the organization above or go here: http://vfi-usa.org/ (bonus points for Shir Ami or Temple U. folks if you recognize who's in one of the pictures on the website...)

No comments:

Post a Comment