Thursday, January 2, 2014

Parashat Bo: Cool



Exodus 12:1: “This month shall be for you the beginning of months; it shall be the first of the months of the year for you.”

“You know what’s cool, dad?” My son asks me every day, every hour.
Usually it’s some toy he’s seen (and of course wants), or something he’s read or watched.
Sometimes he tells me breathlessly, a mantra of cool
Rattled off at breakneck speed, overwhelming all of my senses
taking my breath away.
And then I realize that for him, everything in every moment is new.
There is no jadedness, no cynicism; the world is new every day, every moment.
Everything is cool: the dog
and the trees
and the stars
and the stick on the ground which looks like a slingshot
and the magic trick his best friend showed him
and the Legos he got for Chanukah
and Science
and the joke his grandfather taught him
and how he can make his hair into a Mohawk at bath time
and the new block from karate
and how he heard God’s Still Small Voice in services once when he listened really hard.
and it’s all so cool he needs to share it with every breath he has
And he shares it with me.
Chadesh Yameinu mikedem: Renew my days, O God, as they were
When I saw through boyish eyes, and everything was cool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment