Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Equality in Delaware

Okay, so the joke about the Reform movement is that it's a list of Democratic Party initiatives with some holidays thrown in, but I'm going to live up to that joke for this post.

I try not to get political, but this is, for me, a Human Rights issue, rather than a political one, though it's manifesting itself politically.

I have recently added my name to a list of clergy (Jewish and Christian) supporting an initiative by State Senator David Sokola and Representative Melanie George to introduce Civil Partnership in the State of Delaware. This bill will create a recognized legal relationship for same-sex couples, with all benefits and obligations. This is fully in accordance with the values espoused by the Reform Movement (both the URJ and the CCAR), and are not new issues for our movement (Gay marriage has been endorsed since at least the 1990s).

The bill is supposed to be filed on March 22nd. I'm not sure I'll be able to be in Dover for the formal filing, but I sincerely hope it succeeds and will do what I can to support it. If you are a Delaware Resident, I encourage you to voice your support for this bill by contacting your representative and State Senator.

For more information, please go to www.equalitydelaware.org

No comments:

Post a Comment