Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A shehechiyanu moment

"Do you like your new neighborhood?" Asked L., the 6-year old daughter of one of our neighbors.

She was holding my dog's leash, while her younger brother E. rode his trike in the driveway and my son was playing with his fire truck.

This week, in the Torah portion Eikev, we are commanded that, when we have settled into the land and have eaten our fill and are satisfied, we must then bless the Eternal. It is the prooftext the rabbis use for birkat hamazon, the grace after meals (more on that Friday night, if you come out to CBE). But it seems to me that this text was pretty appropriate for my afternoon experience.

"Yeah" I said, while thinking that if that wasn't a moment to say shehechiyanu, the blessing we say at moments of renewal and celebration, I don't know what is.

Do you have a shehechiyanu moment that sticks out in your mind? Take a minute and share it in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment