Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A first day

So tomorrow's the big day: my official start date. After what seems like a LONG time (oh, wait, it was) I'll be coming into the office not just to have pre-meetings or unpack but to go to work. To say that I'm excited would be an understatement; I've been looking forward to this moment for at least six months.

I'm not going to blather about the importance of beginnings--that fact is self-evident. The question becomes: what do you do with it? What world do you--do I, do we--create as we begin together?

Again, I could repeat anything you could find from a good corporate or self-help manual about beginnings (The First 90 Days is probably as good as anything else out there). Setting the right tone, building relationships, scoring 'early wins', building consensus, etc. all play a role. For me, it all begins with ritual. We have a ritual for beginning and ending the week, beginning and ending Shabbat, beginning and ending the study of Torah, writing a sefer Torah, and anything else one might consider sacred. Likewise, this moment should be one of kedusha, of holiness. So, before the staff meeting (yeah, I'm making us have one of those), before anything else, we'll hang two mezuzot on my office doors. If you're around CBE at 11-ish, feel free to pop by.

"Rabbi Tarfon says: The day is short, the task is great... the reward is
great, and the Master of the house is insistent." (Pirkei Avot. 2:20) Time to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment